Preaload Image
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Keymaster

Will today’s rapid evolution of information and communications technologies lessen the digital divide or contribute to its growth?

Phathele Betries
    Participant

Information and communications technology (ICT) refers to all the technology used to handle telecommunications, broadcast media, intelligent building management systems, audiovisual processing and transmission systems, and network-based control and monitoring functions.

YES The digital divide has contributed significantly to stratification in the community whereby there arises a class of persons with to the internet .

THOKOZANI
    Participant

I argue that improved access to ICT’s has the potential to lessen the digital divide but also the potential to introduce new forms of digital divides. I have made the argument, and this goes across all domains, that we can identify three levels of digital divides: Access divides, design-actuality gaps “ICT’s are developed elsewhere and for other contexts”, and digital innovation gaps.

While the rapid diffusion of ICT’s is Lessing the access divides, recent developments in technologies and in particular digital platforms are enabling local innovation (what I coin digital innovation) that potentially can reduce design-actuality gaps. At the same time, without the skills and capacity to innovate, there is a risk that innovation will happen in the core and not the fringes of ecosystems. Hence, the educational sector in the global sector may not be able to use the full potential of the diffusion and the possibilities for innovation that comes with digital technologies.

Sithembiso
    Participant

ICT – is the extensional communication networks and the intergration of the telephone lines and wireless signals and computers that are used to make work easier or to make communication easier for transmitting the information or message from one person to another

Admin bar avatarSimphiwe Ramaoka
    Instructor

Modern technology has paved the way for multifunctional devices like the smart watch and smartphone.computers are increasingly faster,more potable and high powered than ever before with all this revolutions technology has made our lives easier, better,faster and more fun so yes todays rapid evolution of information and communication technologies has lessen digital divide because everyone has adopted to telecommunications .in todays world cell phones play a major role in our lives . Comparing before and now rapid technology change has improved even the cheap cell phones are built to access the internet send mails and download online content making it possible for all classes to access the internet. So I say it Has lessen digital devide and contributed to its growth

Masemola Mmalake
    Participant

I totally disagree with those who says it will lessen the digital divide!
    Simply because the digital divide is more than just an access issue and cannot be alleviated merely by today’s rapid evolution of ICT. I personally believe that we have some economic challenges, we must tackle the issue of poverty, low education levels and poor infrastructure. So I’m saying it will contribute to the growth of the ICT because the more rapid evolution of ICT is the more increase in affordability.

And again guys, despite technology being a basic need, the cost is too expensive,taxes, electricity and patent fees are contributors to the high price of technology. Nevermind the participation inequality- the rich can afford more access to new technology than the poor and same with education and electricity to mention few. let’s not forget our rural areas where users are not empowered- users lack the skills to use it, what do you say about me and you- the students of TETA, we are using the tablets but because of lack of empowering users those tablets are not useful to us, instead we are always complaining about the tablets. So think about it team!

Bonginkosi Kwanele
    Participant

ICT -stand for information and communication technologies.
    It refers to technologies that provide access to information through telecommunications, broadcast media, intelligent building management systems audiovisual processing and transmission systems and network based control and monitoring functions

Bantubonke Martin
    Participant

ICT – is an extensional term for information technology (IT) that stresses the role of unified communications and the integration of telecommunications (telephone lines and wireless signals) and computers, as well as necessary enterprise softwares, middleware storage, and audiovisual systems, that enable users to access, store, transmit, and manipulate information.

Pretty Mahlalela
    Participant

Information and communication technology has accelerated the growth of The global economy and improved the quality life of the world’s inhabitants ICT has brought new ways of creating livelihood for people the diffusion of ICT has also increased year by year and made it possible to reduce poverty. The opportunity created by ICT also may eventually decrease the distance countries in many other ways because access to ICT plays a key roles in defining the global digital divide it is important to study how the ICT gaps among countries have changed.

I think Information and Communication Technologies has contributed to the economic growth because many organizations in the country are investing heavily in ICT infrastructure such as internet, mobile and telephone lines that improve the operating efficiency of the organizations. The number of individuals using internet and smartphones has grown but it has not lessen the digital divide because it is still lower in the developing areas (rural areas)where the majority of poor live and higher in the developed areas(urban areas) where the rich or middle class live.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here